Sunday, July 17, 2011

Michigan

I have been to Michigan twice.

In the summer of 1983, my parents and I drove to Michigan with my maternal grandparents. We stayed with relatives in the suburbs of Detroit, MI. One of the places we visited was Greenfield Village at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. Another place we visited was an old amusement park located on one of the islands in the middle of the Detroit River. The only way we could get to it was by ferry from Detroit. It had a really cool wooden roller coaster. It might have been the first wooden roller coaster I ever rode. (If you know the name of the amusement park and/or island, please email me at kristi@simplykristi.com. I don't think that the amusement park is in operation.) One day, we traveled to downtown Detroit, MI. We drove through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel under the Detroit River to Windsor, Ontario, in Canada. We drove back to Detroit over the Ambassador Bridge. I also made a trip to Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi, MI.

In late summer 1992, my mom and I flew to Detroit, MI, for a few days to visit the same relatives. We visited Meadowbrook Hall at Oakland University in Rochester, MI. We took a tour of the mansion and its grounds. We also enjoyed lunch there. I swam for the first time in a heated outdoor pool. The temperature outside was in the upper 50s. On a Saturday, we visited Greenfield Village at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfied Village. My mom, her cousin and son and great uncle went there. On our last full day, my great uncle took my mom, his daughter (my mom's cousin), and me to The Whitney, a four-star restaurant, for lunch in downtown Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment